Sports

University of Miami Responds: “Frustrated, Disappointed and Concerned” with NCAA

The University of Miami has finally responded to the announcement of NCAA-ception today, and in her official statement university president Donna Shalala didn't mince words. She said she was "frustrated, disappointed and concerned" by the developments, and claims the school has been "a model for how institutions should partner with...
Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

The University of Miami has finally responded to the announcement of NCAA-ception today, and in her official statement university president Donna Shalala didn’t mince words. She said she was “frustrated, disappointed and concerned” by the developments, and claims the school has been “a model for how institutions should partner with NCAA staff during investigations.”


Here’s Shalala’s statement in full:

“Since the University first alerted the NCAA to the possibility of violations more than two years ago, we have been cooperative and compliant with the NCAA and, I believe, a model for how institutions should partner with NCAA staff during investigations. In addition to encouraging current and former staff members and student-athletes to cooperate with investigators, we have provided thousands of documents to the enforcement staff.



“I am frustrated, disappointed and concerned by President Emmert’s announcement today that the integrity of the investigation may have been compromised by the NCAA staff.



“As we have done since the beginning, we will continue to work with the NCAA and now with their outside investigator hoping for a swift resolution of the investigation and our case.



“I want to thank our community for their continued support and patience.



“Stand with the U.”

While news of the scandal didn’t become public knowledge until the Yahoo! Sports report, the University of Miami has always maintained that they first reported Shapiro’s allegations to the NCAA nearly a year before that story was published.

When news happens, Miami New Times is there —
Your support strengthens our coverage.

We’re aiming to raise $30,000 by December 31, so we can continue covering what matters most to you. If Miami New Times matters to you, please take action and contribute today, so when news happens, our reporters can be there.

$30,000

Since then the school has imposed its own sanctions, including player suspensions and forgoing a total of three post-season football games.

Meanwhile, the NCAA has dragged out the investigation for over two years now and managed to mess it up in a major way. Shalala’s frustration, disappointment and concern seems more than warranted.

Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.

GET MORE COVERAGE LIKE THIS

Sign up for the This Week’s Top Stories newsletter to get the latest stories delivered to your inbox

Loading latest posts...